This year, I attempted something I had never done before.
It all started with the idea that I wanted this year's costumes to be dental themed since this is probably one of the last year's that I would be able to convince the boys to play along. So I brainstormed ideas and decided to make the boys "Tooth 1" and "Tooth 2" (thinking along the lines of "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" from Dr. Seuss). Then the idea evolved a little more and I thought of making Kai as himself and myself the tooth fairy. I searched everywhere online for teeth costumes, but was unsuccessful, so I decided that I would try to sew them on my own!! If you know me, then you know that this is not something I do often. I have only made a baby blanket, which you can see here, in my adult life and I knew this was going to be much tougher.
I couldn't find a pattern online, or even a good idea, so I brainstormed some more. I drew a very simple sketch on a sticky note and went to the fabric store to pick out fabrics similar to what I had envisioned. I had several whites and silvers in my cart. I pushed my cart up to the cutting desk and sought advice from the girl working there. I explained that I was a beginner and shared what I wanted to do. She told me that while the satin fabric would look great, it would be very tough to work with because it would slip so much. I debated, but in the end decided on the satin fabric because I wanted it to look great and liked a challenge. The silver fabric was a non-fraying kind that made my job with cutting out the letters much easier. I took everything home and got started right away.
The whole project only took a couple of days of on and off working. I worked mainly while the boys slept, but was also able to work on it for an hour or so while they were awake and they loved "helping". In fact, while I stuffed the teeth, they took the extra batting and scattered it on my craft room floor and pretended they were having a huge bubble bath. They are so much fun! I was surprised at how much easier the job was than I imagined it to be. They certainly are not perfect and if you are great at sewing, please don't look too closely, but I was really happy with how they turned out!
Trick or treating was SO much fun! People loved our theme and kept asking where I had found the costumes. We had quite a few people come up and ask to take our picture, which was completely unexpected. I had only hoped that everyone would be able to guess the theme of our costumes without me having to try and explain what we were. Both of the boys loved getting candy. Kelton stayed behind at every house to "talk" with everyone he met. He made tons of new friends. The costumes also proved to be extremely warm and also cushioned a few would-be nasty falls from each of the boys in their eager attempts to get to the next door and get more candy.
I'm not sure if I'll make our costumes again next year. I haven't even started thinking about it yet, but at least I know that it's possible!
Kasen was scared that if he smiled, his "filling" would crack ;-)