Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Big Leap (the long awaited update)

So I recently took a test that calculated stress levels.   681.  The scale said that 0-149 was low susceptibility to stress related illness, 150-299 was moderate, and 300 and over was high.  681.  Seriously?  Stressed?  The funny thing is that I don’t feel stressed, but honestly, it must be there and underlying.  A little over a month ago, I gave birth to our second child.  6 days later Kai’s resignation was final.  12 days later we packed up our house and moved from one coast to the other.  We crossed the country with a newborn and tried to reassure ourselves that he would be fine.  We were neurotic about germs and sterilizing e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g along the way.  We successfully made it to the other side of the country with our family intact and relatively healthy.  And then…what?  What was our plan?  Why would we even consider doing something so…reckless?  Well, here’s the abbreviated story…

We loved a lot about Vermont.  In fact, we were making plans to stay there for many years.  Kai put an offer in on the practice he was working for, the owners accepted, and he was in the process of getting a loan to complete the deal.  We were really excited about owning the practice and had started to see ourselves living in Vermont for the long term.  Throughout the whole process, we were praying for God to lead in the deal.  We had a lot of things that we were really looking forward to, but we had some major hesitations as well.  So our prayer was simply that if God didn’t want the deal to go through, that he would close all the doors and make the process impossible. 

Long story short, somewhere in the middle of the whole process the owners changed their minds and wanted significantly more money for the practice than we were willing to pay.  At that point we decided to walk away from the deal.  When Kai signed his contract in the very beginning, there was a clause that said if he resigned then we would have to move at least 35 miles away from the practice so as not to take any patients from the practice with him.  We knew this before he put in his resignation, but we decided that since he wasn’t buying the practice, which had been his intention, he would put in his 2 month notice and we would move on even though it meant moving at least 35 miles and moving at a tough time (right after the birth of Baby K).   I’ll spare you all the details, but we considered all the options to try and stay in the area, even considering buying the non-compete clause which would allow us to stay, but the owners wanted to charge close to a couple of hundred thousand dollars for it even though the going rate is in the ten thousands range.  Kai is apparently very valuable :-)   We realized that our prayers were being answered even though the answer was different from what we had expected.  It seemed that God was obviously and completely steering our ship in a different direction. 

So knowing that we had to move at least 35 miles, we decided to start thinking about where we really wanted to live.  We were crushed to have to leave the close friends we had made in our short time there.  (I cannot say enough that the friends we made while in Vermont were some of the best people we’ve ever known!!  We have already been missing them!)  So we started trying to decide.  Would we move somewhere else in Vermont?  We didn’t know anyone in Vermont when we first moved and now moving 35 miles from where we began would mean starting over making new friends again.  We thought of Michigan where we have family and lots of friends.  That was a very real option, but we’ve discovered that we’re not very fond of the cold.  Texas?  Warm weather and it’s rumored there are tons of jobs, but again, we would be starting over making new friends and not knowing anyone.  California?  Where we just moved from almost a year ago?  We have so many family and friends and we love the weather.  We love all the busyness of the city and all there is to do, but a big drawback is that the market is overly saturated with dentists.  Kai had many friends that had wanted to stay in Southern California, but never found jobs and had to move away.  From what we’ve heard, the job situation hasn’t changed.  But one thing we knew for sure was that we loved it there and missed our friends and family.  If we had to start over, why not try in a place we loved?  God had answered our initial prayer (not the way we expected), so we continued praying and decided to make a huge step out in faith. 

Our plan was simple.  2 months.  We would move back to California and give it 2 months of long, hard, persistent job searching.  If after those 2 months Kai still didn’t have work, then we would look at our options again.  That decision was both simple and formidable.  It was simple because it was obviously what we wanted, and if you know us, you know that we don’t mind a little adventure in our lives.  But it was formidable because we had an idea of how tough it would be and while we love adventure, we don’t like to be irresponsible.  With 2 children, 1 of which would be a newborn at the start of this “adventure”, the feeling was dangerously close to that of irresponsibility and thus, left us with an uneasy feeling.  Yet that uneasiness was overshadowed by a feeling that we were, for some unknown reason, heading in the right direction. 

So we packed everything we owned back into a 26’ Penske rental truck and moved out of our house a mere 12 days after Baby K arrived.  We took our time getting from coast to coast with a stopover in Michigan to visit family and friends, and a stopover in Texas to break the trip up and see if it would be a potential “plan b” if things didn’t work out after 2 months in CA.  We also met friends for dinner along the way and introduced Baby K to 13 new states.  Traveling 4000 miles with 2 small children is daunting.  Between books, stories, movies, snacks, feedings, changings, and bouts of screaming (mostly the kids—though Kai and I joined in to make a merrier chorus at times ;-), we were thankful to reach our destination! 

We arrived on a Saturday night and Kai had 2 interviews scheduled for Monday and Tuesday.  Both interviews went well and one of them wanted a working interview on Thursday.  Both places offered him jobs and Kai came home Thursday after the working interview with full time work!  What a HUGE blessing and relief!  I had thought for sure that it would take almost the entire 2 months to find anything and I was steeling myself for the reality that we might end up resorting to “plan b” in the end, and yet everything worked itself out in less than a week!  This whole experience reminded me of 2 of my favorite Bible verses:   

In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.”  Proverbs 16:9 and 
I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11. 

Things are far from “completed” yet and we still have a lot ahead of us, but one of the major pieces in our uncompleted puzzle has been placed and it makes it a little easier and less stressful as we plan for the future.  I’m thankful that we decided to take the leap of faith, though it was stressful and seemingly reckless, and I’m so thankful for the way things have worked out so far.  For the record, both boys are doing great.  I hardly find the time to check my email and blog lately, but now with this megapost completed (which has been hanging over my head since the inception of this whole ordeal), maybe I will allow myself a few minutes to post smaller bits and pieces of our lives on a more regular basis and catch up on the blogs of those that I have been seriously neglecting.  Thanks for your patience!   


  1. Wonderful to hear your newsy blog - from you! God has prepared you for all the undertakings, and He will provide!
    Blessings and HUGS to each!

  2. SERIOUSLY?! OH MY GOODNESS! You are a much stronger person than I! I would have FREAKED out in the same situation!

    God does move in mysterious ways and it is incredible how everything works out if we only put all our trust in him!!

    Welcome back to CA!!

  3. Great to hear your incredible story of faith and trust in God through this entire move process. God is good. I enjoy following and seeing what you are up too. God bless.

  4. When He brings you to it, He will bring you through it!! Thanks for taking the time to write this amazing account! Blessings to all 4!!